Tuesday, December 14, 2010
What makes my eye twitch?
This information comes form Dr. David Wolf, an optometric physician:
Eyelid twitches can be annoying, but they usually go away in a few days. Many things can contribute to eyelid twitching, including:
• Bright lights
• Dry eyes
• Eye infection
• Eye inflammation
• Prolonged computer use
• Sleep deprivation
To help prevent or alleviate eye twitches:
• Avoid or limit caffeine, not just in coffee or tea, but in chocolate, pain relievers, diet pills, and cold medicine as well.
• Get plenty of sleep.
• Limit the time you spend in bright light.
• Practice stress management techniques, such as deep breathing, soaking in a hot tub, listening to soothing music, or exercising most days.
• Take plenty of breaks when you work on a computer.
• Use a rewetting eye drop.
• Wear UV-protective sunglasses.